Wednesday, December 22, 2010
Road Trip Weather
About an hour out of Vegas on our drive home, we received a phone call about flooding in St. George and a blizzard in Beaver. Tyler and I, remembering I drive down, chuckled because it had already been flooding up around St George and we'd figured it would just be more of the same.
Yet, as we got up to Mesquite, NV we noticed more muddy water in and around the town than we'd seen on our drive out just 2 days before.
Here are a number of pictures we took while driving.
We also pulled off I-15 to snap a few pictures of the Virigin River. This first one I took to put some of the waterfalls in the background and also show the resulting flow.
Below, you get an intimate look at the water that frothed below us. Where we stood, not more than 3' away from the water, it was clear that the banks of the river were beginning to erode away. Yikes!
Looking out the window at one point in St. George, both sides of the car seemed surrounded by water. When we got home, I saw that same stretch of highway on the news and it was indeed surrounded by water.
Later, we started to see snow, though the roads were pretty clear most of the drive.
In Nephi, we stopped to get gas. The gas station had about 8" of snow and luckily they had kept on top of things and plowed it enough so we could stop and refuel. I took this image of a hillside that reportedly had up to two foot depths of snow just up from where we were.
No comments:
Post a Comment