Saturday, August 7, 2010

Roy Days Parade

Out here in Utah, each town, whether big or small, has their event. I guess that is typical this time of year. Many cities will host their events around the 4th of July, others pick a weekend in August when the sun is unforgiving and the kids are desperate to make their summer stretch out as long as possible before school reconvenes. Our city, Roy, had its celebration today, the event was called Roy Days. Parade, carnival, car show, band, and much, much more. Below is one of the floats from the parade- it was a cool one!
The part I was involved with was the parade. I will admit that I was excited for this event until I found out I would be in it. I’m not against participating in things, as long as I can usually stay out of the limelight. However, when a vacancy on the Float caused for a change in plans, I said I would fill in. I’m glad I did.
Our float’s theme was “Land of the Free-because of the brave” and it featured heroes from American History since the beginning of the United States as a country. We had Ben Franklin, John Hancock, and another Declaration signer, Molly Pitcher, Dolly Madison, a revolutionary war drummer boy, two Civil War Soldiers, Davey Crocket, A Navy sailor from the Arizona, an Army man with his helmet, and then current day heroes along with pioneers, two active Air Force Men, and three suffrage women… ie many people from history that made our country what it is today.

Most importantly, I was Clara Barton, the founder of the American Red Cross. Okay, maybe I wasn’t most important, but this is my blog so I can tell it how I want to. If you don’t like it, well… go read someone else’s blog about the event. I’m sure they will think that someone else was more important.

Our float featured 4 different flags (starting with the first with only 13 stars). It was interesting how well the piece came together. We got an award “Most Beautiful” which I think was because they saw my hair and liked it (good job Elizabeth!).
We ran out of candy a ways into the parade. I sure hope those people at the beginning realize how lucky they were to have handfuls dumped on the ground in front of them. I tried to throw my little stash in very conservative and well-placed amounts. Most hit their targets. In case you are wondering, yes I hid candy from some of the participants so that I would for sure have some for the people that I knew were at the end of the parade. It worked out well, so a certain 2-year-old could get some candy thrown by a famous person. I’m cool, huh!

After the parade, I headed home to change and then Tyler and I went back to Roy Days. I wandered through the cars and decided that I like the idea of a project car with the end goal of having my dream machine. Though we have different preferences on make and model, Tyler and I decided that we will probably go the way of the Ford Mustang… unless when the time comes (ie we have the garage space) that something else catches our eye..
Then, to end it all, we ate BBQ sandwiches, listened to Tyler's brother play the drums in his band (it was cool), and we then hung around the rides at the carnival area with our nephew, niece and Elizabeth's Brecklynn. Spending that time with family and friends sure made for a fun adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment